how to delete deactivated ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 20 15:17:39 PDT 2008

On Mar 20, 2008, at 07:06, skip at pobox.com wrote:

>     Charlse> I have a shell script that I run when I go to bed called
>     Charlse> good-night and part of it that pertains to Macports
> goes like
>     Charlse> this:

>     Charlse> Your thoughts please.
>
> My only thought would be to wrap the lines suitably:
>
>     #!/opt/local/bin/bash
>
>     cd "~/base/" \
>     && /opt/local/bin/svn update \
>     && PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin ./configure --enable-
> readline \
>     && /usr/bin/make \
>     && /opt/local/bin/sudo /usr/bin/make install \
>     && /usr/bin/make clean \
>     && /opt/local/bin/port -v selfupdate \
>     && /opt/local/bin/port -fvdRnu upgrade outdated \
>     && /opt/local/bin/port -fvdR clean --all installed \
>     && /opt/local/bin/port -fvdR uninstall inactive \
>     && /opt/local/bin/port -fvdR clean --all uninstalled
>
> Now that I can read what you wrote ;-)

I wish you wouldn't indiscriminately use the -f (force) flag all the
time. If it were intended to be used all the time it would have been
made the default. In particular it should only be needed for "port -f
uninstall inactive". It should not be needed for clean, and the only
times it would be needed for upgrade are in unusual situations, which
you would probably want to handle by hand individually rather than
automate.