how to delete deactivated ports

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 16:54:33 PDT 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org>
wrote:

> I wish you wouldn't indiscriminately use the -f (force) flag all the
> time. If it were intended to be used all the time it would have been
> made the default. In particular it should only be needed for "port -f
> uninstall inactive". It should not be needed for clean, and the only
> times it would be needed for upgrade are in unusual situations, which
> you would probably want to handle by hand individually rather than
> automate.

I non-concur on this: I think -f should be the default on upgrades (if you
don't mean it, don't ask for it). It's confusing, in case the regular flow
of questions on this hasn't made clear. Ideally, you wouldn't need any
flags: port upgrade foo would Just Work. I would put clean in a central
config file as well: I suspect this isn't done on a port by port basis.
Are there cases where you don't need -f on upgrades? I generally find I have
to use it all the time if I am upgrading anything.

--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at gmail.com>