php 5.2.5, entropy.ch binary vs MacPorts

Paul Collins paul at gracion.com
Fri Mar 21 08:45:36 PDT 2008

On Mar 19, 2008, at 8:56 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Using the +apache variant of the php5 port will use Apple's Apache
> 1.3 server. This option will be renamed to +apache_apple in the
> future.

Aha! Thanks Ryan - we've decided to use just that. I've got it
working on my test server (did have to rebuild curl with ssl support
to do outbound https in a php script).

Now I know to look in the portfile to learn more about variants
(Porticus even has a menu command for that).

> If you are using Apple's Apache 2 server, for example with Mac OS X
> Server or with Leopard, there is no option to make the php5 port
> work with that at this time. There will be an option +apache2_apple
> in the future for this.

Our second choice was to upgrade our server to Mac OS X 10.5.x
Client, now that Apple's security update upgraded their php to 5.2.5.
But for now, that won't be necessary, and MacPorts has been able to
release php updates earlier than Apple or even the greatly esteemed
Marc Liyanage at entropy.ch (who still provides a terrific service to
the Mac community, for free).

--Paul Collins

** Gracion Software LLC                   http://www.gracion.com/
** Enclose - removes the email attachment bottleneck
** DigiTunnel 1.4 PPTP/VPN client for OS X
** Pronto Patent - search/download US patents fast