[pymetar-dev] man py-metar

paul beard paulbeard at gmail.com
Sun Mar 23 07:52:51 PDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 6:28 AM, Charlse Darwin <macports.users at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
> From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman-pymetar at schwarzvogel.de>
> Date: March 23, 2008 9:16:25 AM EDT (CA)
> To: pymetar-dev at schwarzvogel.de
> Subject: Re: [pymetar-dev] man py-metar
>
> Hi!
>
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, Charlse Darwin wrote:
> > Is there any man page for py-metar? How do I use this thing
>
> In a way, yes. Python has its own manpage-like docs system,
> called, cunningly, pydoc.
>
> So "pydoc pymetar" should give you a manpage-like description of
> pymetars API (it's a library, so that's its primary
> documentation). In case you don't have pydoc, the package comes
> with a file called librarydoc.txt which is identical in content. As
> for a more general description, there's also a README. Where
> those files typically end up in the macports package system, I
> don't know.
>
> > $ uname -a
> > Darwin Mac.local 8.11.0 Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.0: Wed Oct 10
> > 18:26:00 PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.24.17~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh
> > powerpc
> > $ metar
> > -bash: metar: command not found
> > $ py-metar
> > -bash: py-metar: command not found
>
> Pymetar comes with two example scripts, called pymet and
> weather.py. Both are examples only but might be enough for what
> you need.
>
> Unfortunately, I don't know where macports packages usually put
> the auxillary files for installed packages. The packager might
> also have removed the examples, though I doubt it.
>
> Maybe someone else on the -dev list can shed a light on this?
>
> Regards,
> Tobias

'locate pydoc' should tell you what versions of pydoc you have. There will
be a system-supplied one in /usr/bin and MacPorts-provided ones in
/opt/local/bin, with version numbers attached. I found pydoc2.5. I couldn't
get it to run in the terminal in any useful way but running it like this:

pydoc2.5 -p81
pydoc server ready at http://localhost:81/

was useful. But for all that, I found that there was no documentation for
metar (I just installed it to see how this worked). I don't know why it
wouldn't be installed by default.

Poking around in the build directory might be informative. I would file a
bug report, as I think all modules/libs should install docs if they have
them.
--
Paul Beard / www.paulbeard.org/
<paulbeard at gmail.com/paulbeard at gmail.com>