teTeX fails with probably unquoted path name containing spaces

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Thu May 1 15:37:04 PDT 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 1:24 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Still, not sure why it's trying to install teTeX if you already have
>> texlive. The octave port is written to only care if there is a binary
>> named "tex", not which port provided it. If you have a tex in /opt/
>> local/bin that should be enough.
>
> The tex binary (or the link to it anyway) is provided by the
> texlive port, so just having texlive_texmf-minimal isn't enough.
>
> Jerry, I think at this point you would want to do the following,
> assuming you don't want to install texlive_texmf-full:
>
> sudo port clean --all teTeX

That went OK.
> sudo port install texlive +minimal

This terminated with my "standard error"--a reference to non-existing
directories possibly caused by spaces in the path name. Just for
completeness, here it is again:

/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -o xdvi-xaw.bin browser.o dvi-draw.o dvi-init.o
dvisel.o encodings.o events.o filehist.o font-open.o gf.o hypertex.o
image-magick.o mime.o my-snprintf.o my-vsnprintf.o pagehist.o pk.o
print-internal.o psdps.o psgs.o psheader.o psnews.o read-mapfile.o
search-internal.o special.o string-utils.o tfmload.o util.o vf.o
xdvi.o xserver-info.o x_util.o before Dec 12, 2007/lib  -L/opt/local/
lib ./gui/libgui.a ../../libs/t1lib/libt1.a ../../libs/t1lib/../type1/
libtype1.a -L/usr/local/ada-4.3 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -
lSM -lICE -lXp -lXext -lXpm -lX11 -liconv ../kpathsea/.libs/
libkpathsea.a -lm
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: before: No such file or directory
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: Dec: No such file or directory
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: 12,: No such file or directory
powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: 2007/lib: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [xdvi-xaw.bin] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

Error: The following dependencies failed to build: texlive_base

Unless someone has another idea, I think I'll start from scratch. I
assume I can just delete /opt/local but there is probably a way to
delete only installed ports without deleting the port system itself.

Thanks for all your help.

Jerry