emacs-app count as emacs?

CHENG Gao chenggao at gmail.com
Thu May 1 23:59:53 PDT 2008

*On Thu, 1 May 2008 14:55:43 -0700
* Also sprach "Brian P. Flaherty" <bxf4 at u.washington.edu>:

> Hello,
>
> I just installed the port aqua/emacs-app.  I've been using Aquamacs, but
> thought I'd give the port a try.  I then went to install auctex,  and
> port wanted to install emacs.  How do I tell port that emacs-app  counts
> as an emacs, and so the other emacs doesn't need to be installed?
>
> Thank you for your time and help.
>
> Brian Flaherty

I trust the problem lies in that emacs-app is build only as a
self-contained package (all files in one Emacs.app package). While
installing emacs addons like auctex, it'll search /opt/local/bin for
emacs and it dooms to fail.

I myself use emacs-app and now I build it manually. I dont do ./compile
as instructed but in standard three steps (I build from emacs-app bzr
repo in Savannah, not 9.0rc3):

,----
| ./configure --with-ns --without-x --enable-ns-app --prefix=/usr/local --without-freetype
| make -j4 bootstrap
| sudo make install
`----
(For port file /usr/local should be changed to /opt/local)

So I trust if emacs-app port file is revised to do a standard build
instead of a self-contained one, your problem will be solved.I suppose
so since I never install emacs addons thru Macports. I always do manual
building and installation.

HTH,

CG