gnome-libs fails to install/python bindings for GNOME print

David Rowe david.rowe at freeuk.com
Sun May 4 03:15:56 PDT 2008

Randall Wood wrote:
> For what do you need gnome-libs, it is part of the GTK/GNOME version 1
> stack, which was obsoleted about 5 years ago. Chances are you need
> parts of the GTK/GNOME 2 stack instead.
>
> On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 1:27 PM, David Rowe <david.rowe at freeuk.com> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install gnome-print but this fails while installing
>> gnome-libs:

Thanks for replying.

I am using the current MacPorts version of Gramps (version
2.2.8-0.SVNexported) for genealogical work.
This has installed OK with the dependencies specified in its portfile.

However I was poking around the Gramps menus and found 'Help/Plugin
Status' .

This reports that the Gramps plugin LPRDoc.py is Unavailable: 'Cannot be
loaded because python bindings for GNOME print are not installed'. I
guess that the portfile covers the dependencies for Gramps itself - but
not all of the plugins.

I had managed to get another plugin working (I think it was PDFDoc.py)
by manually installing a dependency (I think it was py25-reportlab) - so
I was trying to do the same for LPRDoc.py by guessing what port would
give me 'python bindings for GNOME print'. I already have py25-gnome
installed and I couldn't see another obvious candidate in the py25
section of dports so I thought the problem might a Gnome component
missing rather than a python component missing. The obvious candidate
seemed to be gnome-print - but this fails to install because of the
issue with gnome-libs I reported in my earlier email.

However, from what you say, it doesn't look like gnome-print is the
answer to my problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what port I
should install to get the 'python bindings for GNOME print' with py25.

Thanks

David Rowe