emacs-app count as emacs?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue May 6 00:03:59 PDT 2008

On May 6, 2008, at 01:33, Brian P. Flaherty wrote:

> On May 4, 2008, at 10:05 PM, Shreevatsa R wrote:
>
>> I had the same problem as you, and I had submitted a patch here:
>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/14446 but no one has reviewed it.
>> I notice now
>> that another person has also submitted a similar patch:
>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/14344 with the same result.  You
>> could try if
>> either of them work for you.
>> Let us hope that someone eventually notices :-)
>
> Thank you very much for sending me these links.  I downloaded the
> Portfile posted on trac,

Then you must be talking about ticket 14446, as ticket 14344 has a
diff attached, not a complete Portfile.

> put it in the auctex directory under /opt/local/var/macports/
> sources/... in place of the existing Portfile.  Then I tried to
> install auctex and got this message:
>
> camus:~ bxf4$ sudo port install auctex
> Portfile changed since last build; discarding previous state.
> --->  Fetching emacs
> --->  Attempting to fetch emacs-22.2.tar.gz from http://ftp.gnu.org/
> gnu/emacs
> ^C
>
> So, it detected the new portfile, but still tried to download
> emacs-22.  If anyone has the patience to tell me what I'm not
> doing, I'd appreciate.  Thanks for your time.

The notes in ticket 14446 say a new variant "emacs_app" was added.
So, if you want to auctex use emacs-app instead of emacs, you should
select the emacs_app variant:

sudo port install auctex +emacs_app

See

port variants auctex