Resolving dependencies

Svoop svoop at delirium.ch
Thu May 8 05:04:56 PDT 2008

Hi

I'm a little spoiled by Gentoo's Portage package manager (ebuilds and
friends) which resolves dependencies in a very user-friendly manner.
MacPorts seems trickier, an example:

git-core depends on curl depends on curl-ca-bundles

If I update curl, I have two concurrent versions installed. Uninstalling the
obsolete one is not working as git-core has been built dependent on the old
curl version. So I have to uninstall or force-uninstall git-core, remove the
obsolete curl and install git-core again.

This can be very nasty if you have a lot of dependencies upstream.

Is there an easier way to do this?

And - not being blasphemic there - are there any improvements concerning
dependency handling in the MacPorts pipeline? Maybe changing the underlying
engine to Portage? ;-)

Cheers! -sven