Resolving dependencies

Michael Hernandez sequethin at gmail.com
Thu May 8 15:56:26 PDT 2008

On May 8, 2008, at 6:27 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Svoop wrote:
>>> Gentoo already has a project for portage in a prefix on alternative
>>> systems.
>>> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/gentoo-alt/prefix/index.xml
>> Wow, cool, how did that one slip my attention thus far? Thanks BIG
>> times for
>> the hint! I've bootstrapped it on my MacBook right away and it
>> works like a
>> charm. Guess that's a byebye to MacPorts :-)
>
> That's sad, but I have to admit that they are really active and
> getting more popular over time. It could really be a MacPorts
> killer, if we don't catch up.

I'd rather have a system for compiling open source programs natively
on mac than "bring the virtues of Gentoo Linux" to my mac. Macports
gives me a way to build things on my system without (too much)
trouble. For that I'm thankful. If I wanted to bring gentoo to my
mac... well... I'd bring gentoo to it haha I'm sure there's a way...

Here's hoping macports continues forward!

--Mike H