Resolving dependencies

Svoop svoop at delirium.ch
Fri May 9 02:57:43 PDT 2008

> That's sad, but I have to admit that they are really active and getting
> more popular over time. It could really be a MacPorts killer, if we
> don't catch up.

I don't think that Gentoo Prefix poses a real threat at this time, at least
not until an Aqua installer and pre-built bootstrap images are available
which make prior installation of Apple's Developer Tools obsolete. However,
this will happen eventually which is good as it gives users more options to
choose from - and competition thrives innovation.

No need to make this thread a "Is MacPorts dead?" one. ;-) But for people
like me who administer Gentoo Linux servers, it's a real bliss to have the
power of Portage around - feels like home.

@Michael: Gentoo Prefix is just as native as MacPorts. The only real
differences are that it relies on the rock-solid Portage/Ebuilds rather than
a new kid on the block, and that it compiles it's own compiler (which will
make the Developer Tools obsolete at some point).