Apache not starting at boot

Robert Liesenfeld xunil at xunil.net
Mon May 19 09:21:32 PDT 2008

On May 19, 2008, at 8:14 AM, Lorin Rivers wrote:

> I have done some extensive research and have followed all the setup
> instructions I can find, but apache2 still requires a manual start
> on my 10.4 iMac.
>
> When I run "sudo launchctl load -w  /Library/LaunchDaemons/
> org.macports.apache2.plist", the response is "already loaded".
>
> Manual start doesn't report errors and apache works fine once I do
> that, but I'd like to not have to remember to start apache next time
> my power goes out.

... snip ...

I found I had problems with launchd on 10.4 as well; in your situation
I would usually do a 'launchctl unload -w /Library...' followed by a
'launchctl load -w /Library...'.  This seemed to give launchd the
prodding it needed.  Note also that if Apache fails to start,
repeatedly (due to configuration errors), I believe launchd will
eventually turn off the daemon and leave it off, such as how init
under other UNIXes handles runaway processes.

> The only other bit of info is that occasionally, I see something
> about "bonjour" (couldn't find it just now, though). Also, mysql is
> starting up just fine...

Mysql starting OK indicates that launchd is working well (though I
suspect you'd be having much bigger problems if launchd was actually
broken :).  Can't help you with the Bonjour messages, I'm afraid...

-Robert