My own repo of MacPorts (freezing distfiles)?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon May 19 19:55:32 PDT 2008

Last question first:

> Has anyone else done this type of thing before?

Yes, definitely!

On Mon, May 19, 2008 at 6:58 PM, Tabitha McNerney <tabithamc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all --
>
> I was wondering -- if I wanted to have my own repository of MacPorts (e.g.,
> if I want to freeze each port's version so that I can build ports systems on
> many machines and they'll all have the same ports versions), can I do so by
> simply by editing:
>
>> /opt/local/etc/macports/sources.conf
>
> and changing this line in sources.conf:
>
>> rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
>
> to my own rsync server?

If you want to not use rsync, you can change
that line from an rsync:// url to a file:// url.  For example,
I've changed my source.conf to be:

file:////Users/lovelace/src/ports/
file:///opt/local/var/macports/sources/svn.macports.org/trunk/dports/

Note that you can have multiple repositories in the list.

> And also changing:
>
>> /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf
>
> this line:
>
>> # Rsync server to fetch MacPorts sources from
>>
>> rsync_server            rsync.macports.org

I have not had to change this line in my setup, but
I'm not using rsync at all.  Perhaps someone who
knows more can answer this part of the question?

> What if I wanted to place a bunch of "frozen" versioned distfiles on my
> server but instead of running rsync, it was just subversion instead? How
> does MacPorts currently bridge between the rsync protocol and svn?

The way it works in my setup is as such.  As I said before I have
two port sources defined using the file:// url format.  Both of
these locations on disk are all subversion repositories checked out.
When I do a "port sync" it recognizes this and automatically runs
"svn up" to pull the latest changes.  I can, of course, run "svn up"
manually at any time.

Note that I found this wiki page to be very helpful in setting up
syncing with subversion:

http://trac.macports.org/wiki/howto/SyncingWithSVN

Cheers,
Tanner Lovelace