Using wxPython

Harry Parker harrylparker at gmail.com
Thu May 22 06:58:38 PDT 2008

On Wed, 21 May 2008 08:56:12 -0600
Frank Schima <macsforever2000 at macports.org> wrote:

> Indeed the Leopard built-in Python includes pythonw (or the Framework
> build of python) and works. But I need the MacPorts Python 2.5 to work
> because I need all the other crunchy goodness that Apple does not
> provide like scipy, numpy, serial, py25-matplotlib, etc.
>
> Are there any wxPython programmers using Python from MacPorts? It's
> such a shame to have to develop in Linux with VMware to get around
> this issue. Or worse, switch to GTK!!!! :)

No need to talk crazy talk!  You can get SciPy for Leopard, including
NumPy and also matplotlib and wxPython, all with simple pre-built
downloads from SciPy and the Python site. See near the bottom of the
page at
    http://www.scipy.org/Download
for instructions for installing Python 2.5.2, SciPy and NumPy. I went
with the MacPython package option from
    http://www.pythonmac.org/packages/
There you can also get prebuilt versions of matplotlib and the latest wxPython.
They all work well for me. (Well, I haven't used matplotlib, but I
don't expect any problems.)

I haven't tried PySerial either, but their web site says it works with
Mac out of the box, too.

Perhaps that's why so little support exists for modern Python from
MacPorts: MacPorts doesn't add much to the mix, except confusion.
Python supports its own portable build system that works well on Mac
OS X.

MacPorts is great for compiling C code from projects that don't have
Mac support included. Its a real pain compared to downloading a
ready-made DNG or package file that installs in seconds with a few
clicks.