can't allocate region?

Triston Whetten tw.lbean at gmail.com
Tue May 27 17:49:22 PDT 2008

I personally have seen this type of issue (e.g. crashing with tclsh
malloc() error) *many* times while upgrading outdated ports after a
port sync.  I haven't paid attention to the error output.

I have noticed that watching via memory usage via 'top -o rprvt',
python increases over time until it has 2GB private allocation and
crashes.  I usually use 'port -Rfnuk upgrade outdated' to upgrade
outdated ports.  When upgrade is done, I run 'port clean all'.

One case that I thinked caused this type of issue multiple times was
upgrading gtk2 recently.  After a couple of hours the memory just
begins to rapidly increase (rapidly is say 1.5GB allocated over 45
minutes after running for 2 hours).  I wish I had more details to share.

Anything useful I could collect/observe that would be of use to shed
some light on this?

Triston.