can't allocate region?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue May 27 22:39:08 PDT 2008

Rainer Müller wrote:
> Michael Hernandez wrote:
>> And as I write this I realize that my HD is also 100% full and that's
>> probably the cause of this. Sorry for the noise. That is a pretty ugly
>> error though, so it scared me. The malloc error made me think
>> something was wrong with my RAM.
>
> Ah, as I said in the other mail, this was ENOMEM. So I think the error
> occurred because the system couldn't get any more swap space.

Actually, it was an mmap call that failed. It was probably trying to
write out a file, and failed because of no available disk space, while
there could easily have still been available RAM. The size of 2.5 MB
would fit for something like file_map.db.

Unfortunately we can't really do much about how Tcl internally responds
to resource allocation failures.

- Josh