Apple did it again!

Alakazam alakazam at melix.net
Thu May 29 18:20:08 PDT 2008

> Yes. I also would appreciate a clear HOWTO for that kind of thing,
> being new
> to Macs and already missing the simple (and sometimes simplistic) /
> etc/init.d
> scheme common on other platforms:-)

As Ryan indicated (and I agree that hacking the Apple provided
services is not very good practice), "launchctl" is the equivalent of
"/etc/init.d" on linux platforms (equivalent is not entirely exact).

Lingon is a good "GUI" tool to explore the services provided by
launchctl. I would not advise you to use it to edit those services
though.

Apple also has a documentation page on launchd (the daemon that
launchctl interacts with), the didactic quality of which I haven't
verified :

--
Alakazam <alakazam at melix.net>