Lots of data passing by on xfree86

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Tue Nov 4 01:39:44 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 01:19:47AM -0800, Scott Haneda said:
> Hello, I just installed macPorts on a clean 10.5 system.  I installed the
> dmg for leopard.  All I have done so far is add the opt path and man path
> to .bashrc, then I ran sudo port -d selfupdate.
>
> I ran sudo port install mrtg and it took too long, so I added in the -d
> flag, and I see literally, hundreds of thousands of lines of text going by
> which looks like to be for xfree86.

X11 is a requirement for a number of ports, and having a full install
includes both the X11User package (which I believe is now installed by
default in 10.5) and the X11SDK, which comes with Xcode.  Information on
these can be found in the guide:

<http://guide.macports.org/#installing>

> I am sure this is part of the normal procedure, I was hoping someone
> could explain to me what is going on.  I know there are two or perhaps
> three dependencies for mrtg, and I have built it by hand before, with a
> lot less going on that what is going on now.

gd2 is a dependency, which has quite a few dependencies of its own,
including X11, though there is a +no_x11 variant for it.

> Just curious, thanks.
>
> Also, any idea when a mrtg update may be coming out, the one in ports is a
> tad bit outdated, but I am sure it will work more than fine.

Best thing here is to file a ticket:

<http://trac.macports.org/newticket>

since I don't already see one for upgrading mrtg.

Bryan