Do I really need to install python25 when Leopard already has Python 2.5?

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Tue Nov 4 14:07:18 PST 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 12:57:42PM -0800, Dave Llopis said:
> Ah, good point, thanks.
> What I was *really* after was iPython for Python 2.6, which turns out not to
> have even been completed yet!
> Instead, py25-ipython is what I'm trying to install. I see that it requires
> py25-scientific, which isn't supplied by Leopard.
> I also have python26 installed, so it seemed a bit ridiculous to install a
> third copy of Python.

The python26 port isn't useful right now, as there are no py26- ports, and
no way to create them for most people (those running MacPorts 1.6); fixing
the underlying issue with this is one of the final bits before we get a 1.7
beta released...

For now I'd say, if at all possible, go with the 2.5 version of stuff.

Bryan