update problems

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Tue Nov 4 19:00:29 PST 2008

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 12:24:13PM +1100, Pete Crite said:
> Thanks for your help
>
> I ran "sudo port clean --all <port_name>", and this seemed to delete the
> relevant port file(s) and directory from /opt/local/var/macports/
> distfiles
>
> Is that what it is supposed to do? Just curious, since the "clean" stage
> during a normal install doesn't delete these files in the distfiles
> directory...

Right, just 'port clean <portname>' will remove the work area (which is
where port performs the actual build).  Using --dist just deletes the
distfiles (usually the source tarballs), and --archive removes the packaged
archive (if you have archiving enabled).  --all does all of those, so with
it you should end up with no trace of work from port, except the actual
installed port if it was installed.  'man port' should have a bit more
detail on this, search for clean.

Bryan