Chosing the C and C++ compilers

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Nov 5 00:55:26 PST 2008

Akim Demaille wrote:
> I'm willing to use distcc here to run the upgrade, it works well.
> Except that I use cross-compilers (our most powerful machine is a PPC,
> and I'm running an i686).  All my own builds work perfectly well, but
> I fail to have macport understand that it should stop using
> unqualified names such as gcc-4.0, but should rather use i686-apple-
> darwin9-gcc-4.0.1.
>
> I have tried to add configure.cc info to my macports.conf
>
>> akim at montero $ tail /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf # while
>> processing ports
>> # extra_env			KEEP_THIS THIS_TOO
>>
>> # Akim changes below.
>> configure.cc   /usr/bin/i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1
>> configure.cxx  /usr/bin/i686-apple-darwin9-g++-4.0.1
>> configuredistcc yes
>> buildnicevalue 10
> buildmakejobs 8
>
> but it does not seem to work as I expected.  Can someone tell me how I
> am supposed to make this work?

It is currently not possible to set configure.compiler, configure.cc,
etc. in macports.conf, only on the command line. But be aware that it
will overwrite any settings given in the Portfile this way and might
break ports requiring a specific compiler.

  sudo port install <portname> configure.compiler=gcc-4.0

Rainer