Chosing the C and C++ compilers

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Nov 5 14:55:51 PST 2008

On Nov 4, 2008, at 23:56, Akim Demaille wrote:

> I'm willing to use distcc here to run the upgrade, it works well.
> Except that I use cross-compilers (our most powerful machine is a
> PPC, and I'm running an i686).  All my own builds work perfectly
> well, but I fail to have macport understand that it should stop
> using unqualified names such as gcc-4.0, but should rather use i686-
> apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1.
>
> I have tried to add configure.cc info to my macports.conf
>
>> akim at montero $ tail /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf # while
>> processing ports
>> # extra_env			KEEP_THIS THIS_TOO
>>
>> # Akim changes below.
>> configure.cc   /usr/bin/i686-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1
>> configure.cxx  /usr/bin/i686-apple-darwin9-g++-4.0.1
>> configuredistcc yes
>> buildnicevalue 10
>> buildmakejobs 8
>

> but it does not seem to work as I expected.  Can someone tell me
> how I am supposed to make this work?

Hi.

configure.cc is a Portfile command; it doesn't do anything in
macports.conf.

I was not familiar with distcc. I just looked it up (www.distcc.org)
and it sounds interesting. I'm not sure how to best use it with
MacPorts. MacPorts always defaults to using e.g. /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 to
compile on Tiger and Leopard. Maybe distcc has a way to translate that?