Chosing the C and C++ compilers

Akim Demaille akim at lrde.epita.fr
Thu Nov 6 06:06:17 PST 2008

Le 5 nov. 08 à 23:55, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :

> Hi.
>
> configure.cc is a Portfile command; it doesn't do anything in
> macports.conf.
>
> I was not familiar with distcc. I just looked it up (www.distcc.org)
> and it sounds interesting. I'm not sure how to best use it with
> MacPorts. MacPorts always defaults to using e.g. /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 to
> compile on Tiger and Leopard. Maybe distcc has a way to translate
> that?

It seems that "configuredistcc yes" does the trick from macports.conf,
I did nothing else (and running distccmontext I saw that the
compilation was indeed distributed).  But yes, there are means to play
symlinks treaks to have gcc bounce to "distcc gcc", yet I don't like
that.

Really, I just wish I had a simple means (= not by having to specify
it on each port command line) to specify CC and CXX.  Or else, I would
prefer that the hard coded values be fully qualified (/usr/bin/i686-
apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1) instead of short (/usr/bin/gcc-4.0).  In that
case I have nothing special to do to use distcc with macports.