can't install gettext

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sat Nov 8 00:48:38 PST 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 09:04:16PM -0800, Andrew said:
> I recently installed MacPorts 1.6.0 via the package install and was able to do a port selfupdate.
>

> However, when I tried to install gettext, I get the following error:
>
> sudo port -d -f install gettext
>
> (... a bunch of messages available upon request...)
>
> --->  Building ncursesw with target all
[...]
> gawk -f MKterm.h.awk ./Caps > term.h
> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
>   Referenced from: /bin/gawk
>   Reason: image not found

Do you know where /bin/gawk came from?  Since it links to something in
/opt/local, seems like it may have been copied from a MacPorts install into
/bin, but MacPorts itself will not do anything in /usr or /bin like that.
I'd suggest removing /bin/gawk, cleaning ncursesw (sudo port clean --work
ncursesw) then trying again.

Also, make sure you don't have other bits in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, or
/usr/sbin that may have been copied from other places.

Bryan

[...]