can't install gettext

Andrew wka73 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 21:04:16 PST 2008

I recently installed MacPorts 1.6.0 via the package install and was able to do a port selfupdate.

However, when I tried to install gettext, I get the following error:

sudo port -d -f install gettext

(... a bunch of messages available upon request...)

--->  Building ncursesw with target all
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.build (ncursesw)
DEBUG: Environment:
DEBUG: Assembled command: 'cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_ncursesw/work/ncurses-5.6" && make all'
cd man && make DESTDIR="" all
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
cd include && make DESTDIR="" all
gawk -f MKterm.h.awk ./Caps > term.h
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
  Referenced from: /bin/gawk
  Reason: image not found
make[1]: *** [term.h] Error 133
make: *** [all] Error 2
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_devel_ncursesw/work/ncurses-5.6" && make all " returned error 2
Command output: cd man && make DESTDIR="" all
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
cd include && make DESTDIR="" all
gawk -f MKterm.h.awk ./Caps > term.h
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libintl.8.dylib
  Referenced from: /bin/gawk
  Reason: image not found
make[1]: *** [term.h] Error 133
make: *** [all] Error 2

Warning: the following items did not execute (for ncursesw): org.macports.activate org.macports.build org.macports.destroot org.macports.install
Error: The following dependencies failed to build: ncurses ncursesw

(end of error messages)

If I do: ls /opt/local/lib/libintl*
the message I get is: ls: /opt/local/lib/libintl*: No such file or directory

So I believe gawk is trying to load libintl.8.dylib but it has not been installed. I thought libintl.8.dylib is from gettext. What am I doing wrong here? And how can I fix it?

Thanks,
Andrew