ASSP out of date

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 11 16:01:43 PST 2008

On Nov 11, 2008, at 17:53, Scott Haneda wrote:

> How do you suggest I deal with this port in final release.  The old
> port was 1.1.0, and ASSP has gone through a directory structure
> change, as well as multiple file deletions and additions.
>
> The 1.4.3.0 is probably the last release before 2.0 comes out,
> which is in beta now. I can see a bug patch here or there, but no
> major changes to 1.4.3.0
>
> I am going to want to prevent the issuing of an upgrade to an older
> installed 1.1.0, as it will break everything.  I could go back to
> 1.1.0, and see what has changed, and work to solve this issue, but
> given the age of the original port, I suspect hardly anyone is
> using the port anyway, or you would have heard requests for it.
>
> What is your suggestion on how to deal with this?  Rename the port
> to something like assp1 and then have assp2 seperate when version 2
> hits release, and leave the assp port as is?

There don't appear to be any ports in MacPorts that depend on the
assp port. So that's good; you don't have to test if your update
breaks any other ports.

Is there any reason why anyone would want to use assp 1.1.0 instead
of 1.4.3.0 or 2.0? You said it's so old that you suspect hardly
anybody is using it. So I would just update the port. If we later
discover someone really wants the old version, we can always get it
back from the repository.

FYI: Ports cannot be easily renamed in MacPorts; we are having this
discussion right now in another thread, in fact.