Removing obsolete distfiles but keeping current ones

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 18 15:09:51 PST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 10:33, Michael Glauser wrote:

> What would be the correct way to request something:
> "port -f uninstall inactive"
> would also clean out old dist ([port].tar.bz2) files?
> Seems like there is an ever growing mess there.

You can clean out all of a port's distfiles with

	sudo port clean --dist [port]

Or even all of all ports' distfiles with

	sudo port clean --dist all

But there isn't a way to clean out only old distfiles and keep
current distfiles. I'm in need of that right now. That makes two of
us already. I'll send this message to macports-users where we can
have a little discussion about it. :) (Please subscribe if you're not
on the list, and Reply-All if you reply).

This feature would be a good addition to base. How should it work? It
would probably be a new switch to port clean. If so what would we
call it? port clean --olddist? Do we have a ticket for this already?
I'm sure I remember the request coming up before.