gedit runtime error

William Davis frstan at bellsouth.net
Tue Nov 18 22:14:20 PST 2008

On Nov 19, 2008, at 1:01 AM, Jeremy Huddleston wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2008, at 15:35, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>
>> On 2008 Nov 18, at 14:18, William Davis wrote:
>>> Ive just installed gedit using macports and get this runtime error:
>>> macintosh:~ frstan$ gedit &
>>> [1] 31566
>>> macintosh:~ frstan$ Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display "/
>>> tmp/launch-AEpBLV/:0".
>>

>> gtk+ always attempts to use the XRandR extension.  Jeremy thinks
>> it's not useful;I think it'd be a good way to let users select
>> whether the dock and/or menu bar are useful,
>
> How exactly does "select whether the dock and/or menu bar are
> useful" fall under Resize and Rotate?
>
>> not to mention adapting if the OSX monitor(s) are reconfigured
>> (without XRandR, X11 is incapable of handling size changes).
>
> Uhm... that's not true.  We do reconfigure correctly when monitors
> are reconfigured (and have since sometime around 2.2.2 I think).
>
>> (Suppose I would have to get myself into a position to implement it
>> myself....)
>
> What exactly would you have it do?

Just as a point of information: Gimp also complains or rather Xlib
complains after Gimp is started.  As to the merits of the issue, I'm
unqualified to comment.

William Davis
frstanATbellsouthDOTnet
Mac OS X.5.5 Darwin 9.5.0
XQuartz 2.3.2_rc1 (xorg-server 1.4.2-apple23)
Mac Mini Intel Duo @ 1.86 GHz

Mundus vult decepi, ego non