Lingon Portfile Update

Eric Cronin ecronin at macports.org
Wed Nov 19 11:37:01 PST 2008

On Nov 16, 2008, at 7:06 PM, Altoine Barker wrote:

> Well, let us say there is a new feature or security fix available on
> svn or cvs. You will have to wait until someone provides a package
> installer update before reaping the benefits. A real world example
> of this scenario would be mplayer. The mplayer package installer is
> always made last of all the updates. HTH
>
> -Altoine

MPlayer is probably not the best example to cite for this particular
situation, since they release both packages and full releases at about
the same rate of never...

For things that auto-update via Sparkle or the new Google updater,
there is little advantage to having a Port unless there are optional
compile-time options of merit.  For things which don't auto-update yet
(and anything using a .pkg installer) I can see some advantages to
going the mp route.

Thanks,
Eric

P.S.- Anyone who would like to improve the MPlayer situation please
contact me, I simply don't have enough time right now to find a recent
stable svn revision and roll our own distfile...