MacPorts does not recognize compiled mono

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Nov 20 16:21:20 PST 2008

On Nov 20, 2008, at 17:39, Bart Masschelein wrote:

> I need some features of mono that are only available from trunk, so
> I uninstalled mono 2.0.1 from MacPorts, and compiled/installed mono
> from the trunk. This worked out fine, and I have mono/mcs/
> gacutil/... available in my Terminal. Now I would like to reinstall
> the dependencies to install MonoDevelop, among which gtk-sharp2 and
> mono-addins.  But MacPorts fails to recognize the mono install,
> reporting the following during the configuration phase:
>
> checking for mcs... no
> configure: error: mcs Not found
>
> What is the problem here?

MacPorts is designed to only use other software that's been installed
by MacPorts. (There are a few exceptions, like Xcode and X11.)

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries

You could create a private mono-devel port on your computer to
install the latest development version of mono. Then you'd also have
to modify all the ports that depend on port:mono to instead depend on
a file that both mono and mono-devel provide, e.g. use path:bin/
mono:mono.