MacPorts does not recognize compiled mono

Bart Masschelein masschel at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 03:45:15 PST 2008

Thanks, that explains it. I took the easy way out: I still have my
compiled version of mono in /usr/local, and I installed other
packages, like gtk-sharp, using MacPorts. Taking care my environment
variables are ok, this works. Of course, now I have two mono versions,
but the MacPorts one is only used for MacPorts packages. I use the /
usr/local one.

Anyway, to solve the problem that the compiled mono does not have the
gtk-sharp/pango-sharp etc in its gac, I simply use the gacutil tool to
add them all to the compiled mono. These are the ones required for
running MonoDevelop, for instance:

   502  sudo gacutil -i /opt/local/lib/mono/gac/gtk-sharp/
2.12.0.0__35e10195dab3c99f/gtk-sharp.dll
   505  sudo gacutil -i /opt/local/lib/mono/gac/glib-sharp/
2.12.0.0__35e10195dab3c99f/glib-sharp.dll
   507  sudo gacutil -i /opt/local/lib/mono/gac/atk-sharp/
2.12.0.0__35e10195dab3c99f/atk-sharp.dll
   509  sudo gacutil -i /opt/local/lib/mono/gac/gdk-sharp/
2.12.0.0__35e10195dab3c99f/gdk-sharp.dll
   511  sudo gacutil -i /opt/local/lib/mono/gac/pango-sharp/
2.12.0.0__35e10195dab3c99f/pango-sharp.dll

Saves me the 'trouble' to create my own mono-devel port. In a later
stage I might have a look at contributing to such a port, but first I
will play a bit with those features I needed from the trunk mono ;-).

Cheers, Bart