MacPorts does not recognize compiled mono

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Nov 21 15:41:11 PST 2008

On Nov 21, 2008, at 05:45, Bart Masschelein wrote:

> Thanks, that explains it. I took the easy way out: I still have my
> compiled version of mono in /usr/local, and I installed other
> packages, like gtk-sharp, using MacPorts. Taking care my
> environment variables are ok, this works. Of course, now I have two
> mono versions, but the MacPorts one is only used for MacPorts
> packages. I use the /usr/local one.

Note that things installed in /usr/local can interfere with things
you want to install with MacPorts, which is why recommend /usr/local
be empty if you want to use MacPorts. Any prefix other than /usr/
local, the MacPorts prefix (/opt/local), and the system prefixes (/, /
usr) would be fine. If you choose to keep things in /usr/local, don't
be surprised if software installed with MacPorts starts linking with
things in /usr/local and causing strange problems as a result.