Octave port

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Sat Nov 22 21:01:10 PST 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 10:42:26PM -0500, Robert Fong-tom said:
> Since I ported Octave using MacPorts, I have been working through a
> number of problems, which all seem to be related to the fact that I had
> installed octave, aquaterm and gnuplot previously from dmg packages. I
> previously wrote to both the MacPort and Octave users group about these
> problems and you all have been very helpful and I have learned a lot from
> you all. I started a new e-mail because I recently realized that the
> problem may be with AquaTerm not GNUPLOT. I recently noticed that there
> are several AquaTerm.app on my hard drive and I don't know if this is
> normal. These AquaTerm.app files are in the following.
>
> 1) /Applications/MacPorts/AquaTerm.app (only file in this directory)

/Applications/MacPorts is the normal location for MacPorts-installed items
which install .app bundles, so this is normal.

> 2) /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_aqua_aq
> uaterm/work/dstroot/Applications/MacPorts/AquaTerm.app

This is the destroot inside the work dir, which is used during build.
Unless you had an install fail or turned of autoclean, this shouldn't be
there.  'sudo port clean --work aquaterm' should get rid of it.

> 3) /opt/var/macports/software/aquaterm/1.0.1_0+darwin_8/Applications/
> MacPorts/AquaTerm.app

This is the true install location when you have image mode activated (which
allows for multiple versions of a port to be installed).  Anything under
/opt/local (and /Applications/MacPorts) is actually a hard link to
.../var/macports/software.  So you can ignore stuff in this location

> 4) /opt/local/var/macports/build/
> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_aqua_aq
> uaterm/work/aquaterm/build/deployment/AquaTerm.app

This is another build-related directory, see point 2 above.

Bryan