Octave port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 23 16:02:42 PST 2008

On Nov 23, 2008, at 08:14, Robert Fong-tom wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2008, at 12:04 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Under what conditions would one use "portinstalltype direct" vs
>> "portinstall image"?

Not sure. I've never used it and don't intend to, since image mode
works fine and provides safeguards I appreciate. For example, while
trying to update a port, I once inadvertently deleted the entire
directory ${prefix}/lib/pkgconfig, which is populated by text files
from a whole variety of ports. If I had been using direct mode, I
would have had to uninstall every port that had put something into
that directory and then reinstall them, to get those files back. But
since I was using image mode, I only had to deactivate and then
activate every such port, which was much quicker.

> Also will ports done under "portinstalltype image" recognize ports
> done under "portsinstalltype direct" if the latter is a dependency
> of the former?

I assume so. Dependencies are recognized based on the receipts, which
as far as I know MacPorts creates regardless of the portsinstalltype.