Policy concerning ports that can update/install themselves

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Nov 25 21:54:55 PST 2008

On Nov 25, 2008, at 04:39, Emmanuel Hainry wrote:

> I am wondering what is our policy concerning programs that are able
> either to auto update (many graphical programs have such a feature)
> and
> programs that propose to install add-ons like py-setuptools,
> rb-rubygems...
>
> Those are able to write things inside ${prefix} and to put there files
> that are not managed by Macports and hence may cause problems for
> subsequent port installs/uninstall but also write things outside
> ${prefix}, including /usr/.
>
> I ask this question because of one of texlive's new feature: a
> graphical
> interface that manages the configuration but also gives the user the
> ability to add packages. My choice would be to disable such an evil
> feature as port is supposed to do the work,

Yes, I'd recommend disabling any auto-update feature in the software.

I've even seen ports removed from MacPorts entirely once they grow
their own auto-update features. One of the main reasons I use
MacPorts is to make it easy to update the software; if it has its own
easy auto-update mechanism there may no longer be a benefit of having
the software in MacPorts.

> but I see that ports for
> such feature in python and ruby exist...

I don't understand?