Policy concerning ports that can update/install themselves

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Nov 26 02:41:09 PST 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> I've even seen ports removed from MacPorts entirely once they grow
> their own auto-update features. One of the main reasons I use
> MacPorts is to make it easy to update the software; if it has its own
> easy auto-update mechanism there may no longer be a benefit of having
> the software in MacPorts.

I prefer to use MacPorts to update applications. I hate it when I start
an application which I have not used for some time and it pops up with
an auto-update request, but I just want to use it right now and not
being disturbed by downloading and applying updates.

With MacPorts, I check for outdated ports once in a while and I can
install updates when I have the time to do so. Also, I can check for
updates without starting the application itself.

Your mileage may vary, that's just how I prefer it.

Rainer