sudo port upgrade installed

Frank J. R. Hanstick trog24 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 28 15:18:30 PST 2008

Hello,
	Running sudo port upgrade installed, I got the following message:

Error: cyrus-sasl2 will not build when another version is active.
Error: Please deactivate or uninstall cyrus-sasl2, and then install
Error: the new version with `sudo port install cyrus-sasl2`.
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: cyrus-sasl2 upgrade
failed
Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1

I interrupted the process, deactivated cyrus-sasl2, and restarted the
update installed.  The following resulted:

--->  Activating cyrus-sasl2 2.1.21_0+kerberos
--->  Configuring cyrus-sasl2
Error: cyrus-sasl2 will not build when another version is active.
Error: Please deactivate or uninstall cyrus-sasl2, and then install
Error: the new version with `sudo port install cyrus-sasl2`.
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: cyrus-sasl2 upgrade
failed
Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1

The reactivation of cyrus-sasl2 by upgrade installed prior to
upgrading cyrus-sasl2 defeated the purpose of deactivating before
hand.  What I think should happen is that if cyrus-sasl2 requires
deactivation before upgrading the, script should deactivate and then
upgrade rather than have the user deactivate or uninstall.  The non-
automation of the process defeats the purpose of automating the
upgrade, especially when the deactivation is defeated by an activation.

Frank