linking to libssl and libcrypt

Bryan Blackburn 0x62_0x6c_0x62 at pobox.com
Wed Oct 8 13:57:05 PDT 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 01:44:19PM -0700, Shawn Protsman said:
> I'm attempting to build a static library that links to both libssl.a
> and libcrypto.a. When I build it I get these "has no symbols"
> messages. Any advice on resolving this? Thanks.

Ignore them?  Some source files end up, based on #defines, to have nothing
in them, so when compiled, they have no symbols.  Eg, rand_os2.c:

<http://cvs.openssl.org/fileview?f=openssl/crypto/rand/rand_os2.c>

when built on anything other than OS/2 will have nothing, hence the message
you see from libtool below.  Note also at the end that it finished building
the library, so does it work as expected?

Bryan