linking to libssl and libcrypt

Shawn Protsman protsman at mac.com
Wed Oct 8 14:27:07 PDT 2008

On Oct 8, 2008, at 1:57 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 01:44:19PM -0700, Shawn Protsman said:
>> I'm attempting to build a static library that links to both libssl.a
>> and libcrypto.a. When I build it I get these "has no symbols"
>> messages. Any advice on resolving this? Thanks.
>>

> Ignore them?  Some source files end up, based on #defines, to have
> nothing
> in them, so when compiled, they have no symbols.  Eg, rand_os2.c:
>
> <http://cvs.openssl.org/fileview?f=openssl/crypto/rand/rand_os2.c>
>
> when built on anything other than OS/2 will have nothing, hence the
> message
> you see from libtool below.  Note also at the end that it finished
> building
> the library, so does it work as expected?

Thanks for the quick reply. I copied the static lib to /usr/local/lib
and then tried to compile my binary which links to liballkeyrtv.a:

Building target: keyreq
##gcc -lallkeyrtv -o keyreq keyreq.o
gcc -o keyreq keyreq.o /usr/local/lib/liballkeyrtv.a
Undefined symbols:
   "_inflateEnd", referenced from:
       _zlib_stateful_free_ex_data in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
       _bio_zlib_free in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
   "_inflateInit_", referenced from:
       _zlib_stateful_init in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
       _bio_zlib_read in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
   "_deflate", referenced from:
       _zlib_stateful_compress_block in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
       _bio_zlib_write in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
       _bio_zlib_ctrl in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
   "_deflateEnd", referenced from:
       _zlib_stateful_free_ex_data in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
       _bio_zlib_free in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
   "_deflateInit_", referenced from:
       _zlib_stateful_init in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
       _bio_zlib_write in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
   "_zError", referenced from:
       _bio_zlib_read in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
       _bio_zlib_write in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
       _bio_zlib_ctrl in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
   "_inflate", referenced from:
       _zlib_stateful_expand_block in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
       _bio_zlib_read in liballkeyrtv.a(c_zlib.o)
ld: symbol(s) not found
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [keyreq] Error 1