macports and Xcode

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sat Oct 11 03:42:45 PDT 2008

nox wrote:

>> One reason could be to keep MacPorts fully "self-contained",
>> and to cut down on the amount of "outside" dependencies... ?
>> Currently there is a big grey zone of what's ok to use from
>> system (GCC, X11, etc) and what is not (Perl, Python, etc)

> I really don't want to have to build or use a bootstrapped GCC, X11
> and all to have a self-contained
> MacPorts installation.

Right, and some people don't want to build or use a bootstrapped
Perl or Python or Ruby (or even Apache or MySQL or PHP packages)

So it's all about trade-offs... But I agree with you, and the only
reason I could see for bootstrapping cctools/gcc or Xquartz would
be to make sure that it builds from the available open source code
instead of just using the binaries. Otherwise not worth the hassle.

And even if one *did* want to bootstrap GCC and X11 "from scratch",
that could be done outside the scope of the MacPorts installation ?

--anders