macports and Xcode

Jay Levitt lists-macports at shopwatch.org
Sat Oct 11 05:21:31 PDT 2008

Anders F Björklund wrote:
> nox wrote:
>
>>> One reason could be to keep MacPorts fully "self-contained",
>>> and to cut down on the amount of "outside" dependencies... ?
>>> Currently there is a big grey zone of what's ok to use from
>>> system (GCC, X11, etc) and what is not (Perl, Python, etc)
>
>> I really don't want to have to build or use a bootstrapped GCC, X11
>> and all to have a self-contained
>> MacPorts installation.
>
> Right, and some people don't want to build or use a bootstrapped
> Perl or Python or Ruby (or even Apache or MySQL or PHP packages)
>
> So it's all about trade-offs... But I agree with you, and the only
> reason I could see for bootstrapping cctools/gcc or Xquartz would
> be to make sure that it builds from the available open source code
> instead of just using the binaries. Otherwise not worth the hassle.

Another factor (though I think we're just discussing philosphy, not
immediate plans): Every port maintainer and core developer uses Xcode.  We
already see lots of problems when a package doesn't work on 10.5 because the
port maintainer didn't upgrade - or when it stops working on 10.4 because he
did.

Adding a new build system, if it ever becomes a Good Idea, ought to be
coupled with some type of continuous-integration "build farm" so that
platform-specific bugs don't get (further) introduced.

Jay Levitt