gimp-user-manual error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 12 12:05:13 PDT 2008

On Oct 11, 2008, at 23:48, William Davis wrote:

> error in variants gimp-user-manual:
>
> DEBUG: gimp-user-manual 2.4.2_0 exists in the ports tree
> DEBUG: gimp-user-manual 0.13_0 is installed
> DEBUG: Not following dependencies
> DEBUG: variants to install {} fetch
> DEBUG: available variants are : universal fetch build without_gimp cs
> de en es fr hr it ko nl no ru sv zh_CN
> DEBUG: variant fetch is present in gimp-user-manual 2.4.2_0
> DEBUG: new portvariants: with_gnome + fetch +
> DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports/graphics/gimp-user-manual
> DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port gimp-user-
> manual.
> DEBUG: Requested variant with_gnome is not provided by port gimp-user-
> manual.
> DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port gimp-user-
> manual.
> DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port gimp-user-
> manual.
> DEBUG: Executing variant fetch provides fetch
> DEBUG: Executing variant build provides build
> Error: Variant build conflicts with fetch
> DEBUG: Error evaluating variants
>      while executing
> "error "Error evaluating variants""
>      (procedure "mportopen" line 51)
>      invoked from within
> "mportopen $porturl [array get options] [array get variations]"
> Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants
>
> cleaning did not help

There's another thread where this was brought up too:

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-October/
011855.html

The problem was r40710:

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/40710

  * It changed the default variant from +fetch to +en
  * +en requires +build
  * +build conflicts with +fetch
  * The +fetch variant was "disabled" by commenting out its contents,
but the empty variant is still there

So anybody who had gimp-user-manual 0.13 installed will have the
+fetch variant selected, because it was the default. Now they want to
upgrade, and because there is still a fetch variant in the new port,
+fetch will again be selected, but since the port now has +en as the
default, which requires +build, +build will also be selected, which
conflicts with +fetch.

So the "fetch" variants should simply be commented out or deleted
entirely -- including its definition. And this was done in r40724 and
r40725.

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/40724

http://trac.macports.org/changeset/40725

I'm still not happy with the variant names "fetch" and "build". It's
not clear from that name what's being fetched or built, and the names
unintentionally evoke the fetch and build MacPorts phases. (Granted
they do have descriptions which make it clear, but as we see these
aren't shown in the error messages.) They could be renamed
"fetch_doc" and "build_doc" to be more clear. But since there is now
no fetch variant, I would remove the build variant as well which
would fix all the problems.

Is the plan to go back to fetching the documentation at a later time
instead of building it?