gimp-user-manual error

David Evans devans at macports.org
Sun Oct 12 12:55:39 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 11, 2008, at 23:48, William Davis wrote:
>
>> error in variants gimp-user-manual:
>>
>> DEBUG: gimp-user-manual 2.4.2_0 exists in the ports tree
>> DEBUG: gimp-user-manual 0.13_0 is installed
>> DEBUG: Not following dependencies
>> DEBUG: variants to install {} fetch
>> DEBUG: available variants are : universal fetch build without_gimp cs
>> de en es fr hr it ko nl no ru sv zh_CN
>> DEBUG: variant fetch is present in gimp-user-manual 2.4.2_0
>> DEBUG: new portvariants: with_gnome + fetch +
>> DEBUG: Changing to port directory: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
>> rsync.macports.org/release/ports/graphics/gimp-user-manual
>> DEBUG: Requested variant darwin is not provided by port gimp-user-
>> manual.
>> DEBUG: Requested variant with_gnome is not provided by port gimp-user-
>> manual.
>> DEBUG: Requested variant i386 is not provided by port gimp-user-manual.
>> DEBUG: Requested variant macosx is not provided by port gimp-user-
>> manual.
>> DEBUG: Executing variant fetch provides fetch
>> DEBUG: Executing variant build provides build
>> Error: Variant build conflicts with fetch
>> DEBUG: Error evaluating variants
>>      while executing
>> "error "Error evaluating variants""
>>      (procedure "mportopen" line 51)
>>      invoked from within
>> "mportopen $porturl [array get options] [array get variations]"
>> Error: Unable to open port: Error evaluating variants
>>
>> cleaning did not help
>

> There's another thread where this was brought up too:
>
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-October/011855.html
>

> The problem was r40710:
>
> http://trac.macports.org/changeset/40710
>
>  * It changed the default variant from +fetch to +en
>  * +en requires +build
>  * +build conflicts with +fetch
>  * The +fetch variant was "disabled" by commenting out its contents,
> but the empty variant is still there
>
> So anybody who had gimp-user-manual 0.13 installed will have the
> +fetch variant selected, because it was the default. Now they want to
> upgrade, and because there is still a fetch variant in the new port,
> +fetch will again be selected, but since the port now has +en as the
> default, which requires +build, +build will also be selected, which
> conflicts with +fetch.
>
> So the "fetch" variants should simply be commented out or deleted
> entirely -- including its definition. And this was done in r40724 and
> r40725.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/changeset/40724
>
> http://trac.macports.org/changeset/40725

Yes, this fix should be available shortly (during the next hour by my
clock).

> I'm still not happy with the variant names "fetch" and "build". It's
> not clear from that name what's being fetched or built, and the names
> unintentionally evoke the fetch and build MacPorts phases. (Granted
> they do have descriptions which make it clear, but as we see these
> aren't shown in the error messages.) They could be renamed "fetch_doc"
> and "build_doc" to be more clear. But since there is now no fetch
> variant, I would remove the build variant as well which would fix all
> the problems.
>
> Is the plan to go back to fetching the documentation at a later time
> instead of building it?

This is definitely a work in progress right now.  As you know, I have
just taken maintainership
of this and other gimp related ports to try and get them all up to date
and working properly and
there are a number of problems in various places.  I don't like the
fetch and build variants (for their
names if nothing else) but building the full documentation with all
locales (which is what the
previous build variant did is a very long process and probably
unnecessary for the average
user.  Therefore, I understand the idea to be able to build a prebuilt
version.

However, since the documentation was so far out of date, I have changed
this to build
en locale by default as you say so get the documentation up to the
latest released state
2.4.2 which still isn't up to the current 2.6.1 state of the app itself
but is closer.  If you want
another locale you can do that by added the appropriate variant.

In addition, it's possible to build a pdf version of the documentation
but this requires
dblatex for which we do not have a port right now.

Finally, is this port necessary at all?  The exact same html
documentation is available on
line and gimp (in principal) can be configured via preferences so refer
to that if local documentation
is not available.  However, this is broken right now because it wants to
use gvfs which is
not working correctly yet.

Also gimp-jp2 seems to be broken due to problems with the openjpeg port.

So lots of work to be done in the gimp area.  Please let me know your
suggestions on
the documentation issues.  What is the correct selection of ports to
include in the
gimp meta-port?  Are there other plugins that you think are essential
that should be
included as part of a basic install?

Thanks

Dave