macports and Xcode

rhubbell rhubbell at ihubbell.com
Sun Oct 12 12:36:59 PDT 2008

On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 01:18 -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2008, at 14:31, Darren Weber wrote:

> >> As long as MacPorts builds ports from source, then Xcode is an
> >> absolute
> >> requirement (for gcc etc).  If the day comes that MacPorts
> >> distributes
> >> binary packages, then Xcode may only be needed by some ports and not
> >> MacPorts as a whole.
> >
> > As a guess, the macports installation process could include
> >
> > a) tcl
> > b) a build system port (bootstrapped) to replace Xcode distributions
>
> I suppose. But what would be the advantage? What's so awful about
> having to install Xcode?

My inspiration for the question was the words in the "Membership
Agreement"

6.	Verification of Compliance. You agree that authorized Apple
representatives, with 24 hours advance notice, may inspect the location
where the Prototype is stored, the Prototype and copies of other
Confidential Information and your Prototype access log during your
normal business hours in order to verify that you are complying with
your obligations under this Agreement.

Awful is in the eye of the beholder.