macports and Xcode

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 12 12:43:03 PDT 2008

On Oct 12, 2008, at 14:36, rhubbell wrote:

> On Sat, 2008-10-11 at 01:18 -0500, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> I suppose. But what would be the advantage? What's so awful about
>> having to install Xcode?
>
> My inspiration for the question was the words in the "Membership
> Agreement"
>
> 6.	Verification of Compliance. You agree that authorized Apple
> representatives, with 24 hours advance notice, may inspect the
> location
> where the Prototype is stored, the Prototype and copies of other
> Confidential Information and your Prototype access log during your
> normal business hours in order to verify that you are complying with
> your obligations under this Agreement.
>
> Awful is in the eye of the beholder.

Oh, I didn't realize your complaint wasn't with the software but with
its license agreement. I admit I haven't read it all that carefully.
What's its URL again? Where can I read it?

I can try to read it again and see if I understand it and if it
really means what you think it means, but I don't think Apple has any
intention of randomly entering the homes of everyday Mac users who
just want to compile some software. I mean they even include Xcode in
the box with every Mac you buy; I don't think every Mac user is
required to agree to this agreement just by virtue of having bought a
Mac. Not that such license agreements are even enforceable anyway, as
far as I know.