Monodoc

Bart Masschelein masschel at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 15:30:47 PDT 2008

On 14 Oct 2008, at 23:34, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2008, at 04:10, Bart Masschelein wrote:

>>> Thanks for discovering that. That's a bug. I filed it here:
>>>
>>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/16860
>>

>> You might be right, I don't know much about the details of these
>> packages. But couldn't it be that when installing gtk-sharp2, it
>> checks for other installed packages, and based on the availability,
>> it installs additional sharp bindings? Something in the line of:
>> this user does not have libglade2 installed, so probably he will
>> not need glade-sharp bindings either, I will skip this installation?
>>
>> I don't really know if gtk-sharp2 is useful without glade or not,
>> but if it is useful in some cases, this might be the explanation,
>> and in that sense there is not really a dependency.
>>
>> In your ticket you write:
>>
>>> or it should disable the creation of glade-sharp unless a
>>> variant is selected.
>>

>> That's what it does currently, I guess: it installs gtk-sharp2
>> without any problem, but without glade-sharp.
>
> I'm sure gtk-sharp2 does do some autodetection and decides whether
> to build glade-sharp based on whether or not libglade2 is installed.
> However such autodetection is not what we want in MacPorts. We want
> that if you install a port, you get exactly the same software as
> everyone else who installs the port (on the same major OS version
> and processor architecture), regardless of what other ports you
> already have installed. Therefore either the gtk-sharp2 needs to
> declare a dependency on libglade2 so that glade-sharp is always
> built, or if that dependency is too heavy, then the autodetection of
> libglade2 in gtk-sharp2 must be disabled and a new variant should be
> added which would add the dependency on libglade2 and reenable the
> autodetection.

Hi Ryan,

I didn't know that was one of the philosophies of MacPorts, and I can
only agree with it. I'm posting a blog entry currently on how to
compile MonoDevelop on OSX, and that way of thinking definitely
reduces the hassle of missing libraries between different people,
making everybody's life easier.

Thanks for the insight, and keep up the nice work you are doing on
MacPorts. I have been using MP with ups and downs over the last years,
and only recently went all the way (subscribing to mailing list,
posting tickets, ...), and you guys are quite active, to say the least.

Bart