loader error, uninstall fails

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 08:22:55 PDT 2008

David Epstein wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote:

>>> So, should I try downloading the latest version of Xcode? Could
>>> that make a
>>> difference? I'm running MacOsX 10.4.11 on a G4 PPC.
>>
>> Before you said you were using an Intel Mac:
>>
>> On Oct 19, 2008, at 02:51, David Epstein wrote:
>>
>>> I have version 2.4.1 of Xcode.
>>> I am running Mac Os X 10.4.11 on an Intel Mac Pro.
>>
>> Are you experiencing the issue on multiple machines?
>>
>> I do generally recommend updating Xcode, although if you already have
>> 2.4.1, I don't think there are a lot of changes in 2.5. If you have
>> earlier than 2.4.1, definitely upgrade; MacPorts install
>> documentation says we require at least Xcode 2.4.1 on Tiger because
>> earlier versions are known to be problematic in various ways.
>>

> Sorry, I got mixed up about my machines. I haven't tried the exiv2
> download on my G4 PPC, so I don't know if the download works. I'll stay
> with trying to update my Intel Mac Pro for the moment. The latest version
> of Xcode is 3.1. My current version on the laptop is 2.4.1. I'll try
> updating Xcode. I wonder whether updating Xcode will remove the clashing
> versions of libcc that seem to be giving me trouble. I can't do this
> immediately, but will report back in case it does give a fix, and then
> other people will know what to do if they come across a similar problem.

I downloaded the latest version of Xcode to each of my two machines. The
download was xcode31_2199_developerdvd.dmg for Xcode 3.1 (or maybe 3.1.1).
When I click on XcodeTools.mpkg, I get the message
Open Failed. Couldn't open "XcodeTools.mpkg".
This happens on both my Intel laptop and on my G4 PCC, both running MacOsX
10.4.11.
Although this is not directly a MacPorts problem, it does seem to be a
problem for MacPorts, because MacPorts depend on Xcode's gcc working
correctly.

Any suggestions as to another forum where I might take this up?
Thanks
David