loader error, uninstall fails

David Epstein David.Epstein at warwick.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 02:55:47 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt-24 wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2008, at 02:10, David Epstein wrote:
>
>> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> All ports compile with Apple's gcc from Xcode, unless they include a
>>> statement like "configure.compiler macports-gcc-4.3" and "depends_lib
>>> port:gcc43" to indicate that they specifically want a newer GCC built
>>> with MacPorts. exiv2 does not have these statements, so it's normal
>>> that it's using Apple's gcc.
>>
>> So, should I try downloading the latest version of Xcode? Could
>> that make a
>> difference? I'm running MacOsX 10.4.11 on a G4 PPC.
>
> Before you said you were using an Intel Mac:
>
> On Oct 19, 2008, at 02:51, David Epstein wrote:
>
>> I have version 2.4.1 of Xcode.
>> I am running Mac Os X 10.4.11 on an Intel Mac Pro.
>
> Are you experiencing the issue on multiple machines?
>
> I do generally recommend updating Xcode, although if you already have
> 2.4.1, I don't think there are a lot of changes in 2.5. If you have
> earlier than 2.4.1, definitely upgrade; MacPorts install
> documentation says we require at least Xcode 2.4.1 on Tiger because
> earlier versions are known to be problematic in various ways.

Sorry, I got mixed up about my machines. I haven't tried the exiv2 download
on my G4 PPC, so I don't know if the download works. I'll stay with trying
to update my Intel Mac Pro for the moment. The latest version of Xcode is
3.1. My current version on the laptop is 2.4.1. I'll try updating Xcode. I
wonder whether updating Xcode will remove the clashing versions of libcc
that seem to be giving me trouble. I can't do this immediately, but will
report back in case it does give a fix, and then other people will know what
to do if they come across a similar problem.