macports stages - how to stop server processes?

Darren Weber dweber at macports.org
Mon Oct 20 14:24:15 PDT 2008

RE: http://guide.macports.org/#reference.phases
Can we define phases for deactivate and uninstall?

For example, postgresql83-server is left running after doing uninstall.
 There should be an option to take down and remove any config data for a
server process during the deactivate and uninstall phases.  In the case of
postgresql83-server, it is monitored by daemondo (which is watched by
launchd), so we need to do a couple of things (not sure of the right order):

a) sudo launchctl unload -w
/Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.postgresql83-server.plist
b) stop daemondo watching the server
c) stop the server
d) remove launch files
e) remove config files (or maybe this is part of 'clean --all').

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Darren

PS, Come to think of it, it might be useful to be able to do these things
when upgrading a server installation (ie: first stop and remove the current
server).