macports stages - how to stop server processes?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Oct 21 00:36:48 PDT 2008

On Oct 21, 2008, at 01:43, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2008, at 3:15 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> We added "port load" and "port unload" to 1.7. What I think we should
>> still do is call "port unload" automatically before we call "port
>> deactivate" (if the port was loaded), and then after "port activate",
>> we should automatically call "port load" (if the port was previously
>> loaded).
>
> I must be missing something.  What advantage is conferred by
> keeping load/unload distinct from activate/deactivate vs simply
> folding the former into the latter?

One often has the need to load and unload services at times other
than activating and deactivating a port. For example, ports are not
loaded when they are initially installed, because some initial setup
might need to be done manually by the user first. Then the user will
want to load the port. Or if the user just wants to restart a
service, they will unload and then load it again.